About Fight For Our Reef
The story so far
In the last three years the Fight For Our Reef campaign has helped to:
- Secure a ban on capital dredge spoil dumping in the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area
- Protect untouched parts of our Reef coast like the Fitzroy Delta and Cape York from new port developments
- Stop three mega coal port expansions
- Ensure the World Heritage Committee keeps the Australian Government ‘on probation’ until Reef health improves
This is a tremendous success, but we can’t let up…
Our Reef is still under threat from a major port expansion at Abbot Point, chemical farm run-off, coral bleaching, coal spills and global warming. We must remind our Governments that it’s their job to protect our Reef and the 70,000 jobs it provides. Australia has a global responsibility to look after our Reef for future generations.
We love our Great Barrier Reef, but we’re going to have to fight for it!
The aim of the campaign is to raise awareness of the major threats to the Reef including industrialisation, global warming and fertiliser run-off.
Specifically, the campaign seeks to:
- Stop industrial port expansion
- Support strong laws and funding to cut farm pollution
- Turn down the heat on our Reef by investing in renewable energy
A tribute to Felicity Wishart
In 2015 Fight For Our Reef lost one of our key founders, Felicity Wishart. The current team is continuing Flic’s work, and we will never forget her. Read more about Felicity’s amazing achievements and how she touched our hearts.
Terms and Conditions
Full Terms and Conditions in relation to this website can be found here.
269602 people support the Fight for the Reef. Will you join them?
Sign up to show your support
So we don't lose the Great Barrier reef