It’s crunch time for the Great Barrier Reef – one of earth’s most biodiverse, magical places. In just two years, half of corals have died because of bleaching, caused by coal-driven global warming.
This is an international emergency. But instead of acting, Australia’s government is courting Adani’s giant reef-wrecking coal mine and failing on climate change. So we are taking your voices to the top: the United Nations.
We can protect this incredible natural wonder – but the window is closing fast…
Show UNESCO’s World Heritage Committee that Australian’s want to fight for our Reef.
Ask the Australian Government to act now: say no to Adani and quit coal today.
To Malcolm Turnbull, Prime Minister & Josh Frydenberg, Minister for the Environment and Energy.
Our World Heritage icon, the Great Barrier Reef, is in grave danger.
Due to climate change our Reef has suffered two severe coral bleaching events since early 2016. Nearly half of the shallow water corals have died in the last 18 months due to heat stress – on your watch.
Our Great Barrier Reef can survive – if we take urgent action now.
Please don’t fail us. Please use your power and urgently move Australia to a carbon-free future.
I urge you to:
- Rule out government support for new coal mines, including Adani’s reef-wrecking Carmichael coal mine
- Commit Australia to play its fair share in keeping global temperature rise below 1.5 C.
- Transition to a 100% renewable economy by 2030
- Stop government subsidies which encourage more coal, oil and gas to be burnt.
- Implement strong laws in Reef catchments that clean up farm water pollution and halt land clearing
The Great Barrier Reef is not just the heritage of Australia, but the world. As a matter of urgency, please protect our much loved Reef now – for all humanity and for future generations.
a champion of the Great Barrier Reef.
Image: Troy Mayne – Oceanic Imagery